
So much has happened since I first laid eyes on this strip of sand and sea. Coretta invited me to join her on an Ibiza yoga holiday to start the summer season. We would combine a week of bending and energy work with a weekend of parties, followed by a few days to recover before heading back to Blighty.
Melchior and I met at Aura, the chill lounge and nightclub of the Island's northern bit. I was in the middle of 18 hours of yoga, three hours a day, with an amazing instructor called Jax. A girl from Essex made good, she taught us to question 'what is too little and what is too much'. Melchior would teach me that spiritual connection between a man and a woman is part of life's abundance, and to let go of the outcome. This last lesson has stung like lemon juice on a cut - you might wince with discomfort, but in the end you know it's good for you.
I have also learned that my energy is full of Yang, and that the deep, calming postures of Iyengar can provide a welcome balance. Tears and release came on the day we focused on hip-opening postures. The hips hold the body's anger and sadness.
Flexibility from a childhood spent in splits in gymnastics class was in effect outward or extension flexibility. The inversion work is a challenge to the body - and therefore energy body - as it is a counter-intuitive movement - contradicting the status quo of the ego, and unblocking whatever has been held in that area.
I had a reflexology session from Allison, a friend of Coretta, and got a dose of chill with a note on my ability to give and receive love. Note taken. It resonated deeply with the yoga work, on how to open up and let things in, how to be a permeable membrane.
What is too little and what is too much. Trusting my own sense of balance. I left Ibiza after ten wonderful days of energy healing and decided to come back just five days later. Melchior said that Ibiza either swallows you up or spits you out. I'm afraid that I left some piece of myself on the island, and each time I return that piece will just get bigger and bigger, until I succumb to not leaving.
No comments:
Post a Comment